[postgis-devel] Postgis Raster JPEG 2000 (openjpeg)

Bborie Park dustymugs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:24:51 PST 2014

How does OpenJPEG 2000 compare to other formats, such as GeoTIFF, HDF5 or
NetCDF?

Before deciding on a replacement format, we should identify if a
replacement is required? What are the current short-comings? Where are the
performance limitations? What are the wish-list items for a replacement
format?

I have spent some time at poking at what I considered short-comings, where
I think performance is suffering, and what features are missing. I'm not
ready to publicly share my list though.

I wasn't involved with the original PostGIS raster binary format but from
my understanding while working it with, it appears as though the goal was
to keep things simple as all input and output goes through PostgreSQL,
which can (should?) be considered a black-box.

-bborie