[postgis-devel] multisurface definition in bnf-wkt.txt

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jan 13 03:20:05 PST 2014

Hi,

I see.
The *messy* differences between SQLMM and SFSQL 1.2 confused me.

The SFSQL 1.2 first says:

"""
MultiSurface is an instantiable class in this Standard, and may be
used to represent heterogeneous surfaces
collections of polygons and polyhedral surfaces.
"""

then it also says

"""
A MultiPolygon is a subtype of the non-instantiable type MultiSurface.
"""

and finally, it includes no specification of MultiSurface for WKT.

Whereas in ISO SQLMM,

"""
The ST_MultiSurface type may be instantiable.
"""

then it specifies WKT (which I copied in my first email)

*but*, AFAIU, that WKT does not allow polyhedral surfaces as part of
MultiSurface, does it?

If my understanding is correct, this is quite a significant difference
between the SQLSF adn SQLMM.

M.