[postgis-devel] Mysteries of PostGIS .jar

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Sun Jul 13 22:50:00 PDT 2014

Hi Baris -
  please note that OSGeo-Live a3 is available, and approaching the
complete set of packages / versions (see below). A very simple README
with a link to an example Java program might be a way to get started..
I can commit the files.  Also, I updated ticket 1310 with some info on
postgis jar that is apparently installed via two packages...

>> .. there is even another jdbc_jtsparser.jar provided to make use  of
>> JTS spatial objects with Postgis Database. When you refer to README
>> are u talking about a README file that describes how to checkout
>> from  svn tag and build jdbc jars out of it. Please let me know the
>> purpose of  the README file and I write it for u.

  hmm The purpose of OSGeo-Live is to demonstrate stable software to
potential users, and potential developers. A simple demonstration
program showing the use of PostGIS .jar would do that. If a sample
program does not exist, even a simple text description of how it might
be actually applied would be helpful too.. as mentioned, I have never
seen any app that uses the PostGIS .jar myself, so most any attention
to this would be an improvement.

I can tell you my larger intention, and perhaps you can reflect how you
see to best accomplish it might be..  I want to make sure that
advances in geospatial java - like the PostGIS java interface to start
- are reflected on OSGeo-Live.  In the distributed processing world,
Java is being used very well to implement processing nodes, and some
companies and projects are starting to claim geospatial capabilities.

https://www.locationtech.org/proposals/spatial4j

and the announcement described here:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2014-July/039377.html

  OSGeo-Live dev URLs:
http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/
Archive-Mirror
  http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/
Bug List http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/report/10
IRC Logs - http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeolive
SVN Repository -  https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:25:08  0300, Baris Ergun