[postgis-devel] st_split(multipolygon,multiline)

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 03:17:47 PDT 2014

Hey,
I was wondering if there is any kind of conceptual impossibility that would
prevent st_split to be able to perform the splitting of a multi polygon by
a multi linestring.

Looking at the C code it seems that the split(polygon, line) case is dealed
with by unioning the boundary of polygon and line with geos, then
polygonizing with geos, then returning face that are not  in polygon holes.
 (lwgeom_geos_split.c)

Any reason it couldn't work with split(multi-polygon, multi-line) ?

I wrote a plpgsql wrapper to allow this but it is very slow because it
successively split the input polygon with each part of multi_line.

Cheers,
Rémi-C