[postgis-devel] [cartodb] Re: GSOC weekly report 2 : Spatial clustering in PostGIS and CartoDB

mohit kumar mohitkharb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:25:16 PDT 2014

Thanks Oleg for the help.
I am looking at the examples of the spgist opclasses, and would get back to
you in case of any doubt.
My idea for clustering was to index point data using quad trees and display
a single point in place of cluster of spatially close points.
The zoom level will decide the spatially close points that can be
represented as a single point. This zoom level would be given by the
map(user). If this value is integrated in indexing, the nodes having the
zoom value lower than the asked value would be send by the dB to the map.
The purpose of keeping the child nodes was to show the number of points in
the cluster represented by the single point. This point will be that node
whose zoom value equaling the zoom value of the map.
I know this will make index creation very slow, but once done, the point
display in the map might become a lot cleaner.
This was what I thought on implementation of the work.
Your feedback and suggestions are much needed.

Regards,
Mohit