[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Bringing PAGC address standardizer into the PostGIS code base

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jun 6 20:19:42 PDT 2014

A while back Steve Woodbridge  segmented out the address standardizer logic
that is used in PAGC geocoder so that it works in PostgreSQL.  This many
postgis tiger geocoder users have been using for address standardizing
(instead of the clunky normalizer one packaged with postgis tiger geocoder).

It's gotten a bit confusing where to turn to since the code base of that is
separate and when people have bugs about it they post to PostGIS ticket
tracker.

Eventually I'd like to work with Steve to make a next generation geocoder
that uses this standardizer that would be packaged with PostGIS.
Although we can argue the address standardizer can stand on its own, I think
most people using it use it with PostGIS and generally as part of the
geocoding process.   It would make packaging it by package maintainers and
standardizing on its use a lot easier (which is one of the things Linux
folks have complained about that its not already available when they install
PostGIS from repo).

I've documented the request here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/2387

Are all people (PSC in particular) okay with this or are their concerns.

Of course this means we also need to give Steve commit rights to our code
base.

Thanks,
Regina