[postgis-devel] Status of (constrained) triangulation functions

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Nov 21 05:32:41 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 02:26:07PM +0100, Tom van Tilburg wrote:

> At the moment I'm spending the largest part of my 500 lines of SQL
> for getting the triangles to follow the polygon borders and it
> results in both expensive and difficult code. I know that JTS is
> actually able to do it for a long time http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.nl/2009/04/delaunay-triangulation-in-jts-111.html
> but afaik it's never been ported to GEOS.

JTS does actually not implement constrained triangulation:
http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.it/2009/04/delaunay-triangulation-in-jts-111.html?showComment=1294900721427#c629770929158824093

The JTS implemented part was ported to GEOS already.

> My company is willing to pay for further development of
> triangulation, depending on the cost.

The usual path is getting it done in JTS, then ported to GEOS
and then finally exposed in PostGIS. Adding Martin Davis
in Cc, in case he's not reading the lits.

> P.S. afaik tessellate is with a double 'L'. Should I file a report
> about that?

Yes please

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt