[postgis-devel] Loading TIGER data for the geocoder

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Oct 18 19:21:29 PDT 2014

Regina,

I talked with Brian today. From what I can gather, there might have been
some issues with the linux scripts and Brian made some changes to work
around the problems. So it is not clear if the problem is with your
scripts or his changes to them. If you have a way to test load CA on
linux and verify that is working as you expect that is probably a good
first step.

I missed that the CA and DC numbers were the same. That is a good clue
as to what the problem might be.

Regardless, at some point, I was thinking that it might make sense to
get together work out a design for a new geocoder. My geocoder is really
simple in its design with main two tables:

1. streets table which is my preprocessed tiger streets data
2. stdstreets table which is the standardized addresses of the streets table

I have a few other tables but 99% of the geocoder only needs those two
tables and the only table that need to be queried it the stdstreets
table except when you have a candidate record and you need the geometry
which is only in the streets table to compute the location. A couple of
hours and a white board and we could map the whole thing out.

So let me know when you are not crazy busy and you want to do this.

-Steve