[postgis-devel] ST_Contains / ST_Within

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Sep 29 01:29:19 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:25:40AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:19:51AM +0200, Enrico Rampazzo wrote:
> > I am sorry, I am kind of a newbie here, but what does the ~ operator do?
>
> http://postgis.net/docs/ST_Geometry_Contain.html

BTW, the documentation should be improved to explain about boundary
conditions, for example LINESTRING(0 0,10 0) does not "contain"
POINT(0 0) in intersection matrix terms so ST_Contains returns false
while Geometry_Contains (the operator) returns true.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt