[postgis-devel] address standardizer: core or extra?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Dec 15 16:07:29 PST 2015

Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> writes:

> I think the main point the Greg is making is that the cmake command by
> default should require all the dependencies of a "standard" release
> and that it should fail if any of them are missing.

Yes, basically.   More the flavor that all features that are enabled
should be viewed as mandatory so that if any dependency which is
necessary for that feature is missing, it's a hard failure.

> Then if someone wants to exclude a dependency and the features that
> depend on it that they can options to cmake like:
>
> -DWITH_SFCGAL=no -DWITH_GEOS=no -DWITH_PCRE=no
>
> or for optional or experimental features
>
> -DWITH_<feature1>=yes -DWITH_<feature2>=yes

People should have to do the 2nd, and then can do the first if they want.

> Or whatever. So by default every thing gets included for a "standard"
> release build and if you want to not include something it needs to be
> done explicitly.
>
> Greg, correct me if I misunderstood.

You gave more details, but I think we're in agreement.  The high order
bit is definitely to select features, and fail if they can't be built.

I am still using autoconf to build postgis, becuase it's there and it's
what pkgsrc is coded to.   Presumably until it is removed and shows up
in NEWS as gone that should be ok.