[postgis-devel] 2.1.8 install failure if uid != pgxs's uid (not new)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 7 10:20:30 PDT 2015

I have a system where PostgreSQL 9.3.9 was built as root from pkgsrc.
Thus the installed pgxs.mk's Makefile.global has "-o root" in INSTALL_BIN.

Then, postgis, when installed as a non-root user, uses this definition,
and it fails (because a non-root user can't chown to root).

There are two views here:

  it's a bug to do anything different in building postgis compared to
  PostgreSQL.

    optionally, postgis should fail if it detects the above mismatch

  postgis should use its own install variables, created during
  configure, and not use the pgxs install targets/variables.

I dimly remember figuring this out before, so this is somewhat a note to
self and somewhat an explanation to others who run into this.