[postgis-devel] For PostGIS 2.2 moving forward make liblwgeom compatible between micro releases

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 30 08:44:21 PDT 2015

On 30-07-15 17:21, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 05:09:00PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>> I don't think linking the libtool version-info to the postgis version in
>> this way is correct. The changes in r13855 for PostGIS 2.18 result in
>> -version-info 3:1:8 which is an invalid value as documented in the
>
> You might have misread the code.
> For version 2.1.8, the version info would be 3:8:1,

Yes, I misread it indeed. Thanks for the correction.

The version-info changes in r13855 ensure that the SOVERSION remains the
same as PostGIS major version. This doesn't allow for liblwgeom ABI
breakages between PostGIS major releases.

>> I sugges to start with -version-info 2:0:0 in PostGIS 2.2.0, and keep
>> the libtool versioning of liblwgeom separate from the PostGIS version.
>
> It might be better to postpone this to when liblwgeom gets
> its own release cicle.

I tend to aggree. It currently hard to version liblwgeom indepent from
PostGIS.

What will the postgis and liblwgeom interaction be like after the split?

Will new features be introduced in postgiscore and incorporated into
liblwgeom later? Or will they remain separate featuresets with only the
liblwgeom features shared with other projects like spatialite?

I'm a bit afraid liblwgeom may quickly become an stale project because
all development moves to postgiscore.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--