[postgis-devel] For PostGIS 2.2 moving forward make liblwgeom compatible between micro releases

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Jul 30 08:49:43 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 05:44:21PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 30-07-15 17:21, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> >> I sugges to start with -version-info 2:0:0 in PostGIS 2.2.0, and keep
> >> the libtool versioning of liblwgeom separate from the PostGIS version.
> >
> > It might be better to postpone this to when liblwgeom gets
> > its own release cicle.
>
> I tend to aggree. It currently hard to version liblwgeom indepent from
> PostGIS.
>
> What will the postgis and liblwgeom interaction be like after the split?

In my vision PostGIS will link to liblwgeom as it currently links
to geos and proj and gdal. New features might originate in either
sides (as it happens currently between liblwgeom/ and postgis/
subdirs) but ideally they'll be put in liblwgeom when possible.

> I'm a bit afraid liblwgeom may quickly become an stale project because
> all development moves to postgiscore.

I don't think the focus of current developers would be affected
by the split. Not sure what Paul envisions as ending up in
"postgiscore".