[postgis-devel] PSC vote Request: Make Geos 3.5 the default in PostGIS 2.2

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Tue Jun 2 13:53:50 PDT 2015

Regina,

I fear I don't quite understand your original proposal to start with.
How can PostGIS make any GEOS version "a default"? You can pose minimum
requirements and/or emit warnings during `configure`, yes.

However, to me it seems pretty evident that raising the minimum
requirement to GEOS >= 3.5 is way too premature at this point in time.

On 06/02/2015 02:53 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> "Paragon Corporation" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>> This is just for PostGIS 2.2 and the plan is since some very popular
>> functions in PostGIS 2.2 will not work without GEOS 3.5, then GEOS 3.5 WILL
>> BE released before or very near PostGIS 2.2.

ISTM the only way you (postgis) can guarantee that is to hold back the
release of PostGIS 2.2 until GEOS 3.5 comes out the gate.

>> Just as PostGIS 2.2 has to be released before or very near release of
>> PostgreSQL 9.5

It's PostGIS which depends on PostgreSQL not the other way around. So
shouldn't this rather read: PostGIS 2.2 has to be released *after* the
release of Postgres 9.5? Otherwise, you cannot guarantee compatibility.

> I think a "may not depend on unreleased versions" rule avoids the
> downstream problems when expectations are not met, which is why I
> think it's important to follow that rule.

Absolutely crucial, yes.

Regards

Markus Wanner