[postgis-devel] PSC vote Request: Make Geos 3.5 the default in PostGIS 2.2

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jun 3 01:11:02 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 07:50:02PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Anyway by default, I mean - PostGIS 2.2, WILL allow you to compile with a
> lower GEOS, but you need to pass in an extra agreement in configure to do so
> just so you know by doing so you are missing some important functionality.
> I guess we can just go with a warning, but I personally tend to ignore those
> kind of things, perhaps other packagers don't.

I found we already had a NOTICE message in place, by the end of the
configure run, if you was building with GEOS < 3.3.2.
But as configure was bailing out if GEOS was any earlier than 3.3.0
that NOTICE was not hit.

Now I updated the triggering version  to 3.4.2, and changed the NOTICE
to a WARNING. It'll appear as the last output of ./configure so won't
go unnoticed. Feel free to raise to 3.5.0, to get a feel of how it is done
_and_ maybe add a step to the HOWTO_RELEASE file. Thanks.