[postgis-devel] binary packages for dev snapshots

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 3 13:47:44 PDT 2015

On 06/03/2015 10:21 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 10:10:33PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>> I co-maintain the postgis package for Debian together with Markus
>> Wanner. We maintain our packaging in the Debian GIS team git repo:
>>
>> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/postgis.git/
>
> Uhm, I cloned that repo and it contains the whole postgis source too.
> Is the debian/ directory all you added in there ?

The Debian package git repository contains the standard layout for
packages maintained with the git-buildpackage tools. This includes to
the full upstream sources in the 'upstream' branch merged into the
master branch where the packaging is maintained.

See also the Debian GIS team policy where this is documented:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/repositories.html#git-repository

> Would it have been possible to _only_ have the debian/ dir as a separate
> repo ?

While possible, this is too much of a hassle for the Debian packaging
workflow. The SVN based packaging generally worked like that, having
only the debian directory in the package repository and adding it to the
upstream sources when building the package. It's much more convenient to
have the entire source package in the repository, merging the upstream
sources and debian packaging only once.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--