[postgis-devel] binary packages for dev snapshots

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jun 3 17:05:06 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> I was looking for binary packages of development snapshot of PostGIS.
> It's a pity that we have them for windows and not for free systems.
>
> Packagers: how would you feel about integrating packaging scripts into the
> PostGIS source tree to make it easier to automate generation of packages ?

(I realize you probably aren't looking for pkgsrc packages on NetBSD or
SmartOS, and probably don't want to run pkgsrc on Linux or FreeBSD,
where it works but isn't the native packaging system.)

The typical norm in packaging systems is to package releases (only), and
that's the pkgsrc rules.  But it's common in the "wip" (work in
progress) section to package either -devel or -git versions.  Keeping
this updated is not super hard, but can be time consuming.  The easiest
path (complexity wise, not total effort) is if there were release
tarballs generated daily with some version like 2.1.90.20150603.tar.gz
which were of version 2.1.90.20150603 being a snapshot before 2.2.  Then
it would be just a matter of updating the version and checksum in the
package and building.  One would have to change other things only when
there were new files or new build methods, etc, but not most of the
time.

There are also mechanisms to fetch head of a CVS, but I am not a fan of
that because the package becomes non-deterministic.

If there are tarballs (with matching tarball name, unpack name, and
version) generated, I'd be happy to make a postgresql-postgis2-devel
package in pkgsrc-wip and give you write access; it would then be a
1-minute process to update it on any particular day, which would then
let you build binary packages for any pkgsrc-supported platform.

With non-matching names, some designer 'pre' tags, or a changing
distfile (vs new ones) I'd probably do it too with a little grumbling :-)