[postgis-devel] Vote: split java in its own git repository, published on github

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jun 12 16:03:30 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> I propose to remove the java/ subdirectory from the main SVN repository
> and leave it in its own git repository, hosted on github and with its
> own issue tracker and wiki: https://github.com/postgis/postgis-java
>
> I'm picking github as there's already a "postgis" team registered there,
> with a mirror of the SVN repo (and pending pull requests) and all the
> PSC members already have an account.
>
> To me it'll be a good step toward further modularizing the codebase.
>
> +1

As a packager, I think it's a good thing that language bindings are
viewed as separate by upstream.  Often projects have various language
support, and detect them at configure time, but that doesn't really fit
the packaging workflow, which wants the base to not use any extra
languages, and then to have specific separate packages for each language
support, depending on postgis and ${language}.

So +1 from someone who doesn' get to vote.