[postgis-devel] estimating quality of spatial indexes

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Mar 3 00:58:12 PST 2015

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 10:57:29AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, I think the n-d index is still ang-tan.
> Oleg and Teodor's site had some code for visualizing r-tree boxes that
> could maybe be used to get a feel? Doing higher dimensions is going to
> be difficut, I would imagine.

I got Oleg and Teodor's "Gevel" in place, great tool!
Now the problem is that we hide so much our index types under the carpet
that converting index keys to geometries is not easy.

Not only BOX2DF type lacks a cast to GEOMETRY but does not even implement
text output, so there's basically no way to get it printed.
Hadn't tried yet, but I guess the same holds for GIDX.

Do you guys have an problem with me implementing the casts ?

--strk;