[postgis-devel] PSC vote Request: Make Geos 3.5 the default in PostGIS 2.2

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed May 20 04:34:05 PDT 2015

On 05/20/2015 10:43 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I shall note that GEOS-3.5.0 was not even released.
> All I can suggest is to implement a WARNING message at ./configure time
> that lists the cherries you'd be missing by not using GEOS-3.5.0,
> but would not make the configure fail otherwise.

As a package maintainer myself I strongly second this.

It makes no sense to require GEOS 3.5 when that hasn't been released
yet. Requiring GEOS 3.5 will keep PostGIS 2.2 out of Debian/Ubuntu
because only GEOS 3.4.2 is available there, the geos package will be
updated after the final release is published whenever that may be. Still
it won't be available immediately because a transition will be required
to ensure all reverse dependencies work with the new GEOS.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1