[postgis-devel] PSC vote Request: Make Geos 3.5 the default in PostGIS 2.2

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon May 25 00:14:33 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 10:24:11AM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

>  strk, Paul - any thoughts on how to deal with that one?  When you run
> pg_upgrade, since it's doing a binary upgrade, I don't think CREATE
> EXTENSION is run so the functions just get pulled over.

We're talking about <-> semantic changing based on PostgreSQL version,
right ? That's not the only case of PostgreSQL version dependent behavior,
another one is presence or absence of the whole index-assisted KNN.

The only idea I have about this is to expose the version of PostgreSQL
PostGIS was built against so that postgis_full_version() can complain
about it and recommend a re-build/re-install. Then we need to also
allow for upgrades between same versions as we already do with the
"next" trick.