[postgis-devel] Binary receive/send functions for all types

Shay Rojansky roji at roji.org
Mon May 25 04:49:43 PDT 2015

Hi.

I'm working on full PostGIS support for Npgsql, the ADO.NET PostgreSQL
driver.

One problem I've run into is that not all PostGIS types have binary
receive/send functions for them. Npgsql is built to be a binary-first
driver for performance (and other) reasons and this complicates things...
Prominent types lacking binary support seem to be box2d and box3d (but
there are others).

Is this intentional, and if not, are there any plans to extend binary
support to include all types?

For more details please see the discussion here in our github:
https://github.com/npgsql/npgsql/issues/447#issuecomment-68650083

Thanks,

Shay