[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis module

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 1 02:00:29 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:45:18AM +0200, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> On 2015-10-01 10:22, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Making incompatible changes and not bumping the SONAME is a sign of
> incompetent library management, that should be fixed by educating
> the developers.

Granted. That's the maintainance cost that some are trying to avoid :)

> >Well, bugs are still fixed in the same place, the difference is just
> >in needing or not a _rebuild_ of the multiple packages statically
> >linking the fixed library.
>
> The hard part is determining which of the 20.000+ packages need a
> rebuild because they statically link the library, the dependencies
> don't express this relationship.

> >Alright, so it may theoretically happen, in a Debian system,
> >that you end up with a PostGIS module version 2.1.6 using a liblwgeom
> >version 2.1.8 ?
>
> No, because the postgis module has liblwgeom-2.1.8.so in its NEEDED
> section.

Uhm, isn't this in contraddiction with the problem expressed above
of not knowing which of the 20.000+ packages need a rebuild ?

Where can I find this NEEDED section ? Can't see it with apt-cache show
nor at https://packages.debian.org/jessie/postgresql-9.4-postgis-2.1

Btw, you meant that postgis module 2.1.6 has "liblwgeom-2.1.6.so"
in its NEEDED section ?