[postgis-devel] wait till monday for final ?

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Thu Oct 8 04:41:10 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 10/08/2015 01:05 PM, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Not only very unpopular with other projects, but also with the sponsor who
> financed its development with the intention that it be made available to
> the project that they themselves use.

It might not be all that negative. Perhaps those other projects get
together and manage to maintain a liblwgeom fork as a separate and
independent project. That might set energy free...

> The sponsor will not be pleased about that.

I'm not familiar with the deal behind, so take this with a grain of
salt: Sponsoring an initial "librarization" and then leaving the burden
of its maintenance to the PostGIS project forever doesn't sound like a
good plan to me.

Now, please understand me correctly: I'd also favor a common liblwgeom,
maintained in a joint effort. However, that clearly needs to pay off for
the PostGIS project as well - and do so in the long run.

Regards

Markus Wanner