[postgis-devel] liblwgeom versioning

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Oct 12 03:20:29 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 11:32:43PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 09-10-15 10:10, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 08:03:01PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> >> On the other hand, the libtool manual seems to suggest that not
> >> including the release version in the .so symlink is the expected and
> >> correct behaviour.
> >
> > Right, and I can see how it can be useful.
>
> As long as coinstallability of minor versions is not required on Linux I
> think we can leave it as it is now (combining -release & -version-info)
> despite contrary advice. It's all just a hack to accommodate Windows
> anyway, for Linux -version-info alone is sufficient.

I don't think coinstallability of multiple versions of the _static_
library in the same directory is needed, anyway. Or you would then
also need to version the corresponding include files.

At any given time, in a given directory tree, you'll always want
to have a matching triplet of liblwgeom.h, liblwgeom.a
and liblwgeom.so files.

Of course it'd still be useful to properly support --prefix to
determine where those triplets are installed:
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/635