[postgis-devel] is PostGIS ready for git ?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Oct 12 08:27:03 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> Devs, how comfortable are you with git nowadays ?

I don't contribute all that much - mostly I just complain about
portability, so apply the appropriate multiplier.

I think moving to git would be good.  While git is hard to learn, or at
least hard to learn to use well, enough things in the open-source world
use it that pretty much everyone needs to learn anyway.

There's a sepaarate issue about hosting.  I believe that Free Software
projects should be hosted by a non-profit charity (e.g. FSF, SFC, ASF,
or some project-specific org), and that the hosting should run Free
Software.   So having osgeo.org spiff up trac to use git (which actually
works fine and is not that hard; I've been doing that for over 5 years)
sounds like a good plan.

>   2. We don't have a recipe yet to update our ChangeLog file in a
>      compatible way

Perhaps just have a new file per release that's the output of "git
--oneline" and insist that commit messages be very carefully written.
You actually get this as the commit message for new annotated tags.