[postgis-devel] (T) in the manual

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Oct 14 02:15:48 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:24:14AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I've noticed some (T) labels in the manual and wondering what they are.
> There are 3 in reference_processing.xml .. what is it about ?
>
> Example:
>
>       <refpurpose>(T) Returns a geometry that represents the shared portion of geomA and geomB.  The geography implementation
>           does a transform to geometry to do the intersection and then transform back to WGS84.

Answering myself, thanks to grep:

  Functions with a (T) are not native geodetic functions,
  and use a ST_Transform call to and from geometry to do the operation.

I'm afraid I broke that 8 months ago with
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/changeset/13291
as there's currently NO such function with that tag.

Aww, if we only had proper peer-review mechanism in place !

That commit removed the (T) tag for ST_Buffer and ST_SharedPaths,
I can't find other function that ever had that tag, since the
introduction of that tag.

The tag itself was introduced 6 years ago by Regina:
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/changeset/4773

Should we just drop the tag and forget about it ?
Or I guess if you really think it's useful, we'd better have
it used as part of the .SQL definition, to be parsed automatically ?