[postgis-devel] repository hosting (was: is PostGIS ready for git ?) NO?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 15 19:49:17 PDT 2015

--
> Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net _______________________________________________

That's most f what I care about more testing.  But we already have some of that with Travis and Jenkins.
Seems better use of time could be spent by setting up AppVeyor and GitLab CI rather than trying to move our repo completely to git.
And also trying to get machines to test other platforms we don't always test like BSD, Mac, Ubuntu.

So far I have heard

1) people who send pull requests (Dan Baston I think was one), are content with the mirror on GitHub.
So the mirrior largely satisfies people's needs who already use github.
2) strk says getting a patch is a matter of copying the url so it's not that hard
3) branches are already being tested by travis

4) Paul and I prefer SVN over git.  With Paul's thinking only thing he would care for is github for the mass adoption and integration and not having to report to two ticket systems.
5) Some people don't want to signup for github account when they've already got an OSGeo and we have concerns over the future of GitHub.

Soo

Questions I have
If we are going to keep github for easy pull requests by large number of developers using it already, but we don't like github as our primary git solution, and some of us don't like git at all.

Is there a benefit to having a git - git mirror over an svn - git mirror? If there is it's probably only a benefit to core developers like strk, nicklas, dustymugs

How inconvenienced are core developers with working with svn over git?

How inconvenienced are we with copying patches from github/gitlab ci to our main repo or just telling folks, if you want your patch accepted hand us a patch on trac.
If they aren't willing to do that much, then maybe they aren't worth our hassle.

I'm not seeing the brave new world looking any better than what we have now and it seems not a trivial effort to get there.

Thanks,
Regina