[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 16 02:28:14 PDT 2015

On 16-10-15 10:52, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:49:17PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>> I'm not seeing the brave new world looking any better than what we
>> have now and it seems not a trivial effort to get there.
>
> Let's hear from packagers too.

The postgis Debian package is also maintained in git, so having the
upstream development in git too makes sharing patches a little easier
because the upstream remote can be used for rebasing & cherry-picking
instead having to use the separate SVN checkout and manual patch handling.

I also prefer an OSGeo hosted git repository over GitHub to not rely on
a proprietary hosting solution for your upstream development. There are
several Debian Developers who refuse to use GitHub due to it not being
Free Software, requiring the package maintainer to pass messages along
between the user reporting an issue and the upstream issue tracker on
GitHub. Having the user involved in the discussion with upstream
directly is a better use of our time.

While I do have GitHub account because sharing patches via Pull Requests
is more convenient than sending patches to a mailinglist or attaching
them to a Trac issue, I do refuse to use GitHub for my own projects
because I also don't want to rely on a proprietary product my projects,
I prefer to host my own git repository instead. If the only git support
in the upstream project is on GitHub I don't mind using that to
collaborate with the upstream developers.

So, props to Sandro for working on the OSGeo hosted git solution, I wish
other OSGeo projects like MapServer, PROJ4 & QGIS had done the same. But
I cannot complain too much about that because I did not step up to work
on the OSGeo git hosting to make that a viable alternative to GitHub.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1