[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 16 03:15:43 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:28:14AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> I prefer to host my own git repository instead. If the only git support
> in the upstream project is on GitHub I don't mind using that to
> collaborate with the upstream developers.

We actually have 2 mirrors right now: http://gitlab.com/postgis/postgis
and http://github.com/postgis/postgis. Both are updated every 5 minutes
by a script on my personal host machine. I guess it could be improved
to become something done on every commit directly from OSGeo machines.

BTW, I've found this nice project that basically acts as a public
git repo hoster: http://repo.or.cz/ -- could be added to the list of
mirrors (can behave both with push or pull method).

Now I wonder with all these mirrors how will you be sure the code you
get is the "blessed" one (official, not forged). While the GIT hash
is easy to check, there being no official git repo (or notice on
website) to check against might be a problem (something to think about).

> So, props to Sandro for working on the OSGeo hosted git solution, I wish
> other OSGeo projects like MapServer, PROJ4 & QGIS had done the same. But
> I cannot complain too much about that because I did not step up to work
> on the OSGeo git hosting to make that a viable alternative to GitHub.

Given every additional service on OSGeo infrastructure would need
additional maintainance, I'm actually not sure I'll continue that
effort, unless the OSGeo community expresses a real need to that
extent.