[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 16 04:59:19 PDT 2015

On 16-10-15 13:38, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughts, and sorry for confusing you with some other
> packager (maybe it was debian packagers). I think it would be nice
> to have a PACKAGERS file in the repo with reference of who packages
> PostGIS for which system, very useful reference, it'd be (although I
> guess it'd be easy for it to end up out-of-sync).

While it's good to know who packages your software, I don't think a
PACKAGERS file with it's tendency to become outdated is a good solution.
The package tracking systems of the distributions tend to list the
maintainers already, knowing where to find those is probably more helpful.

I also don't want to listed as the package maintainer in the postgis
upstream sources because postgis.net/install spreads false information
("The DebianGIS project has built PostGIS in the past, but is currently
not very up-to-date."). I spend far too much time on Debian GIS
packaging to prevent the packages from becoming stale again, I'm not
willing to take the blame for problems in the past. The Debian GIS
packages will get stale again when I burn out or get fed up with hostile
attitudes of upstream developers. This is unlikely to affect postgis
which still has Markus Wanner taking care of the packaging too. But
there are many more packages that don't have anybody else contributing
to their packaging.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--