[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 17 10:19:03 PDT 2015

> FYI, it is possible to fetch just the latest state of a branch:
> http://strk.keybit.net/blog/2011/06/07/getting-just-the-tip-of-a-remote-git-branch/

Thanks. One less reason for me to hate git and now we have .gitattributes set right to respect my windows/mingw64 special minority status, I don't hate it anymore because it's preventing me from compiling.

Like I said I'm not that married to svn though most features of git are lost on me.  Git doesn't seem much better but not much worse either now that we have some issues resolved around it that were causing me pain in the past.

Seems people prefer git, but some have issues with github.  So I think it's pretty clear github is not the best solution as the official repo for us.

There is still gitlab etc. and if you can get it to talk to trac without too much fuss that would be swell.

One question I'm still not clear about which I think is a benefit of git is the hash tags.

I hated them because they were so long and painful, but if they are globally the same for a project, whether you are on github or gitlab, I do see having a gitlab->github mirror being easier to maintain and ideal than a svn -> git mirror.

Is that a true statement for any given git project of files, if I have the same history of changes as you do, then they have the same hash for any given commit?

Thanks,
Regina