[postgis-devel] A letter to the Postgis Developers and Packagers

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Oct 23 06:59:23 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:18:22PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>
>> If we could have an option so that PostGIS has it's own version of
>> liblwgeom with a versioning scheme that matches the rest of PostGIS,
>> with an optional switch to spit out another baby with it's own
>> versioning that others can use, then the two can coexist using the
>> same code base
>> And that code base be PostGIS.
>
> Had you not considered the option of PostGIS dynamically linking to
> the new external library ? It would be like the GEOS dependency.
>
>> That probably doesn't help Debian folks all that much except that
>> liblwgeom so names won't change with each new micro release of PostGIS,
>> but they'd still have to maintain 2 for largely identical libraries.
>
> I guess the PostGIS version would not need to be an exported library
> anymore, if the external one exists.

From the packaging viewpoint, having two copies of the same code is a
problem in terms of security patches, as well as just duplicated space
not only in the fs but at runtime.

If liblwgeom is going to be used by other packages -- and it really
seems it is -- the only reasonable thing to do in the long term is make
it a separate package.  (I realize that this may not be reasonable in
the short term.)