[postgis-devel] A letter to the Postgis Developers and Packagers

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Oct 23 13:08:25 PDT 2015

As much as I hate agreeing with Paul on this as what he has reiterated over and over sounds selfish and unfriendly,  I think that's the best solution in the long run for everybody, that other projects fork liblwgeom into a separate repo they can share and PostGIS re-internalize our version of the library so it doesn't get installed in system.

Not being able to rely on an exact version of liblwgeom is very troubling for PostGIS.  Unlike GEOS where we can live with some people running say 3.4 or 3.3  (when we prefer 3.5), we absolutely have to be insured that what we test in our cunits is what's being shipped with said version of PostGIS as that is 80% of what PostGIS is. Not to mention the hassle of having to contribute to two projects just to make a change to something that probably 80% of the time affects only us.

Not having that reassurance is just too much stress, I feel  on the PostGIS project.

As more projects use liblwgeom this butting of heads of our needs versus theirs will become more of an issue that I fear significantly dwarfs any contributions we might get from others.  In this case we are just better off copy sharing rather than binary sharing.

Thanks,

Regina