[postgis-devel] postgis extension sans raster (only for folks who can't compile with raster support) - PSC Vote and developer/packager comments please

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Oct 26 00:07:57 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 05:18:59PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> 1) changes nothing for existing users, makes it easier for people who can't get GDAL to still use the same instructions for  installing postgis like everyone else.
> 2) As an instructor, making sure I can give you the same set of instructions to install and get going regardless what operating system you are on is really really important to me as these detours of (if you don't have raster -- here is who you find where your scripts are installed is a big PITA)

It seems to me that the same instructions:

 CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

would result in either having PostGIS with raster or PostGIS without
raster, depending on how the package was built.

Alse these instructions:

 ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

would be ambiguous as to what the target version would be.

By having the same name "postgis" we're forced to have the same
control file, which in turn can only point to a single
"default_version".

So at the bare minimum, instructions for using postgis raster
should always add a step to make sure raster was included.