[postgis-devel] Vote to call PostGIS 2.3 beta1 next week

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 30 13:27:37 PDT 2016

I'd like to release a PostGIS 2.3 beta1 next week.  I think all major
milestones I noted since

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2016-July/025872.html

have been committed.

Namely,

1) BRIN support in place
2) schema qualifying all our calls and making PostGIS not relocateable
3) Tiger 2016 upgrade
4) ST_Segmentize for geography fixed.

The other things we discussed, which are still not committed are  the
following:
These I feel should be just pushed to 2.4 because they are
a) Too far from done or b) currently are in conflict with our code base
c) Too small of a feature to risk missing PostgreSQL 9.6 release.

5) I still have some testing to do with parallelizing but just assume I do
that when we release beta

-- there will probably be one more commit for address_standardizer for
PostGIS 2.2 and PostGIS 2.3, but that should be done before end this week

One which I didn't mention is this -
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3528  (Use tree-based distance
calculation by default in geography )
(Paul Ramsey are you going to have time to look at this before now and next
week (to risky you think to do now) or should we just push to 2.4?)

Everything else on plate are bug fixes that we should have mostly fixed by
release time.

-- New features that I'm planning to punt to 2.4
6) Precision Model support - Dan doesn't have time and lots of lossedns
7) ST_Angle function - https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/97
8) Validity Flag - https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/99
9) ST_AsText -- adding optional precision argument --
https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/94
10) ST_AsGeoBuf -- https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/108  (still seems
a bit to go so may not make an August cut without some loving)

Thanks,
Regina