[postgis-devel] Validity flag

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Feb 29 03:34:29 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:49:34AM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> I like the approach of the validity flag, as long as we have
> space for it. The ST_MakeValid could probably also set it,
> for example.

I've been also thinking that a single bit would not be enough
to store the validity as the expensive operation we're trying
to avoid is _checking_ for validity, so we want to encode
whether or not the geometry was _checked_ in addition to
whether it was found _valid_ or _invalid_, so we'd need
2 bits.