[postgis-devel] 2.2.2 Release (?)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Feb 29 05:48:48 PST 2016

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:00:52PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> (My impression is that there isn't a script to run to generate a release
>> From svn, because the script that is used has to make tags and actually
>> do svn ops.  So a random user can't make an tarball for testing.  It
>> would be nice to have this be more like automake's "make dist", which
>> just needs a source tree and doesn't write to the VCS.  But until then,
>> I think RCs are in order.)
>
> +1
>
> Feel free to ticket the request for offline "make dist", I also
> think it would be useful. Much easier with an offline VCS but
> we aren't there yet :)

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3482

Actually, I think the distfile creation process should be totally
independent of the VCS, just making a tarball from checked-out bits.
I'm not suggesting we change to automake, but I think it does the right
thing and is worthy of emulation.  (As I realize you know), "make dist"
works from a checkout/working dir, and "make distcheck" after making a
distfile unpacks the new distfile, does an objdir build, and runs make
check.  That's a big level of validation that the right files are in the
distfile, vs make check in the checkout.

My impression is that separating this wouldn't be that hard.   The big
issue is separating "checkout as modified but not committed" from
"what's in the working dir".   But even if it could easily make a
distfile from trunk or a branch, vs a tag, that would help a lot.