[postgis-devel] PostgreSQL 9.5.0 has just been stamped

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 5 06:50:49 PST 2016

"Brian M Hamlin" <maplabs at light42.com> writes:

>     I am really not following this. Are you saying that
>     postgis-current does not work with 9.5.0? Or that 2.2.0 doesn't?
>     And are you implying that somehow postgis is expected to work
>     immediately when there is a new postgresql version?
>
> Hi Greg - its really just the opposite of most of that.. both PostGIS
> and Postgresql have really long development cycles -- daily testing
> via Jenkins, other buildbots and individuals and teams, have been
> running the combination for a long time..

I'm talking about testing stable branches of postgis against
unstable/unreleased branches of postgresql.  Are you saying that
happens?  2.1?  2.2?

>     I don't see the panic; 9.5.0 is by definition bleeding edge, and
>     certainly is going to take a at least a little bit to show up in
>     packaging systems.
>
> hmm I would say its just the opposite of that, again. Pg 9.5 is
> heavily validated on the day it arrives.. the chance of a serious,
> very unexpected bug in 9.5 is small.

It is a .0 release and the users of postgresql from packaging systems
have not run it.  I'm not trying to criticize your testing, and in fact
I am aware of the great history of stability of postgresql.  But, first
contact through packaging systems with real users on platforms the
developers have never heard of is a different story.

So all in all if a postgis 2.2 release excludes 9.5 support and there
isn't a 2.2.N+1 that supports 9.5 for another few months, I don't see
the problem.  (I personally would never upgrade anything to 9.5.0, since
by 9.5.1 I will be sure that any issues are resolved.)

I was just reacting since I got the impression that Regina thought that
it was necessary/appropriate to do something in the several-days
timeframe because of the 9.5.0 release announcement, and that didn't
make sense to me.