[postgis-devel] [postgis-tickets] r14554 - update version info, add note about upgradeable_versions.mk

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 6 06:14:35 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 09:04:57AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:30:04AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >
> >> It could be reasonable to expect that anyone who runs an rc for real (vs
> >> testing it) should be expected to upgrade to the corresponding release
> >> first.
> >
> > Right, but there's no way to upgrade from an rc to a final
> > unless we leave those names in the PostgreSQL extension upgrade
> > scripts.
>
> I meant that the version in 2.2.0 would have bits to upgrade from
> 2.2.0rc1, but that 2.2.1 would not.

Ah, makes sense, yes.
I guess the HOWTO_RELEASE file should expand that part a little bit.
Current text just reads:
- Update extensions\upgradeable_versions.mk (adding previous version)

> would have to be on-the-fly, or it won't help.  I suspect it's best to
> just put up with it, as on-the-fly generation seems unnecessarily
> complex, harder to test, etc.

PostgreSQL does not support on-the-fly generation of files to load
for extension upgrades, as far as I can tell.
Or did you mean on-the-fly generation of upgradeable_versions.mk ?