[postgis-devel] [postgis-tickets] r14554 - update version info, add note about upgradeable_versions.mk

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 6 06:37:20 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 03:14:35PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 09:04:57AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> > would have to be on-the-fly, or it won't help.  I suspect it's best to
> > just put up with it, as on-the-fly generation seems unnecessarily
> > complex, harder to test, etc.
>
> PostgreSQL does not support on-the-fly generation of files to load
> for extension upgrades, as far as I can tell.
> Or did you mean on-the-fly generation of upgradeable_versions.mk ?

I've been thinking of another possibility: provide a commandline tool
to recreate actual upgrade scripts from a set of templates that would
be installed on "make install".

There would be a single template installed by each PostGIS version
for upgrading from any previous version and the commandline tool
could (re)create an upgrade script for any installed version.

This would also fix the case in which a 2.0.8 is released after
2.2.1 (as it will happen) leaving users in the impossibility to
upgrade from 2.0.8 to 2.2.1.

What would you think about such a script ?