[postgis-devel] Note to Package Maintainers

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 6 06:54:51 PDT 2016

On 10/06/2016 03:32 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
> primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
> This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
> comfortable with:
>
> 1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers

A separate list is probably overkill, but it is quite convenient to
contact several people with a single email, and allows the packager to
unsubscribe when no longer active with postgis packaging.

> 2) Just a list of package maintainer that we continually update as part of
> our repo (with email address if folks are okay with that or link for
> follow-up) and that would be included as part of source repo.
> This in part would provide credit to package maintainers and also provide us
> with our pre-announce go to list.

This will likely get outdated quickly, and doesn't allow the packager to
remove him/herself easily when no longer involved.

> We would also like to update this page:
>
> http://postgis.net/install/
>
> To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
> bug tracker if any.
>
> Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?

As a packager I have no need for separate calls for packaging as e.g.
the GRASS project does. I'm subscribed to the development mailinglist,
and have tooling to monitor for new upstream releases.

I'm not a fan of separate test releases as was done for 2.3.0 because
the tarball needed to be downloaded from a different location which
requires modification of the upstream version tracking which also
downloads the release tarballs. The final release candidate should be in
releasable state, renaming it to remove the RC suffix should suffice to
turn it into the final release.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--