[postgis-devel] ST_AsGeobuf

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 00:59:34 PDT 2016

Hi devs,

I've been working on a new output format function called ST_AsGeobuf these
last months. Its purpose is to serialize full query output into the binary
format Geobuf containing both geometry and attributes. The implementation
is tracked by:

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3599
https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/postgis/postgis/pulls/4 or alternatively
https://github.com/bjornharrtell/postgis/tree/asgeobuf5

Geobuf is a binary format specified by Mapbox that can represent similar
data and structure as GeoJSON but is more compact and is faster encode and
decode. You can read more about Geobuf at https://github.com/mapbox/geobuf
which also serves as the reference implementation to decode at a browser
client side.

Geobuf is in turn based on Googles protobuf standard which I think is
similar to a binary XML. My implementation uses the general purpose library
protobuf-c to simplify the encoding.

I hope to be able use this work as a base to also implement support for
vector tiles as specified by Mapbox which is also based on protobuf.

I think the implementation is ready for review and testing. If you have any
interest in Geobuf or vector tiles output support I'd appreciate review
and/or test result feedback.

/Björn