[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Github or Gitea (OSGeo Git) or stay on SVN

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 8 17:38:43 PDT 2017

I think you are overrating the discomfort of having to handle pull requests from github (as a mirror vs. being our official) if everything isn't there and forgetting that you are forcing people who don't have github accounts to create one.

There are 3 kinds of contributors I think are important

1)      End users reporting bugs – many of these don't have github accounts so forcing them to create an osgeo instead of github sounds better. You can argue creating a github account is easier these days.

2)      Developers who are on github – we take pull requests from them whether I do it from github/gogs/svn doesn't matter to me.  The conversation if changes need to be made is better on github or gogs.

To me after it's committed that's all noise I don't really need in final commit or on ticket.

If a dev becomes a serious contributor e.g. Dan Baston or Björn Harrtell then I'd really like them to have an OSGeo account.

>From what I presume from both, they just want to work with a git repo and less sensitive to where the official is.

Sandro is already struggling with svn so I know he prefers git.

So my reason for wanting the git move is to make it easier for those with commit access already and future.

3)      Developers/users who don't have a github account or don't like committing to github for political reasons.  We lose all these people if they are forced to create a github accounts before they can exchange with us.

So I'm still +1 for GIT OSGeo and okay with tickets moving from trac to gogs.