[postgis-devel] Vote to bump minimum GEOS from 3.3 to 3.5 -PostGIS 2.4.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 22 11:39:25 PDT 2017

Greg and Brian,

Thanks for reaffirming that 3.5 should be okay to make the minimum and the reason why all the distros I look at seem to be stuck at GEOS 3.5.0.
I would have thought they would at least do GEOS 3.5.1.  Oh well

Greg,
Now as to upping the GEOS version while we are in alpha.  Normally we try to catch this before release but didn't even notice that we allowed 3.3 as our minimum since we had a glaring warning that you should be using GEOS 3.6 (or was it 3.5, I forget).

In Code sprint it came up that people were having performance issues, and Dan Baston thought it was because they were running 3.4 which had poorer performance in some areas than 3.5 so we as a project were being blamed for these issues because people aren't upgrading their GEOS.

SIDE NOTE: Dan  -- those guys came up to me after (I forget their names and said they upgraded to newer GEOS and running Vlad's javascript algorithm in PL/V8 is still  faster so we might want to relook at why)

But the reason I really want to move up to GEOS 3.4 or above, is we have a patch pull request (without a 3.4 guard that we'd like to accept before we do our beta release).   Rather than clutter up our code with more GEOS guards we want to just accept it.

https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/136

We've got so many functions already that rely on at least 3.4 in particular the interruptability of a lot of functions that really no one should be running PostGIS from 2.3 on without at least GEOS 3.4.
GEOS 3.5 is still debatable, but seems like a safe move to require it.

Thanks,
Regina