[postgis-devel] Vote to bump minimum GEOS from 3.3 to 3.5 -PostGIS 2.4.0 - downgrading requirement to 3.4

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Aug 23 14:01:12 PDT 2017

> Why are we using such ancient software for the bots?  It seems to defeat the purpose of CI if much of the new code in PostGIS will be filtered out by preprocessor directives.

> Dan

Not entirely if we believe there are people who are stuck with 3.4.whatever, it's good to test that to make sure we don't break them.

Each bots has variations of things to check

So for example Winnie and Debbie are running GEOS 3.7 and Latest GDAL, protobuf so they will be able to test everything.

In addition Debbie tests the head of PostgreSQL 10-9.4 so if any weird stuff gets introduced she'll catch it.  Example the PostgreSQL 11 failure here - https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3814 resulting from recent change in PostgreSQL master branch.

Winnie tests Windows (both 64-bit /32-bit so she sometimes catches 32-bit issues that the other bots won't see cause they are all 64-bit) and will catch weird memory things that windows seems especially sensitive to.

Travis is running GEOS 3.5 and an GDAL 2.1.0 from packages (so he/she) will be able to catch if we don't have guards in place for lower GEOS from 3.5-3.7

Dronie and Gitlab are running ancient software (GEOS 3.4.3 / GDAL 1.11 I think)  to make sure we have guards for ancient people like strk.  For example it's possible that someone might want newer features of PostgreSQL 10 but are light users of PostGIS so they don't need all the new features and may compile against an ancient GEOS or GDAL

Thanks,

Regina