[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 29 06:51:10 PDT 2017

> I'm a bit on the fence regarding this.  I'm very much in favor of making
things easier when it comes to the upgrade process, but what I think that
requires is a firm stance that new versions *don't* change behaviour except
in > cases of clear bug fixes.  If behaviour changes are going to be
happening in existing functionality then we simply can't just upgrade users
to the new version, we need to continue to have a distinction between these
versions > and that implies a slightly more painful upgrade process.

> Perhaps we can improve the upgrade process by warning users ahead of time
in a nicer way than the error pg_upgrade throws today, but I'm not sure what
that would really look like.

> Thanks!

> Stephen

But extensions do this all the time and they don't change the lib version
name.

Look at plv8 which upped the version, look at hstore, (which added jsonb
functions, did that change the lib name, no)
Look at every single pl extension

These are not bug fixes but totally new functionality.

Your argument doesn't make sense to me.  Of course there is a difference and
people will know it when they do

SELECT postgis_full_version();