[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 30 04:51:02 PDT 2017

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> Okay I guess that settles it.  a firm -1, we can't move forward with
> this.  Given no packagers have voiced any opinions whatsoever, I guess
> it's not as serious of a problem as I've heard.

I haven't read the full thread so I'm not really sure what the issue
is.

In pkgsrc, we change the version number in the PLIST (list of files in
the package) on upgrade.  Particularly if that's really tied to the
version in a machine-computable way, that's easy.  The changing so name
has absolutely not been on my radar of problems.  So I don't see any
reason to do anything different, and absent complaints that the current
situation is problematic, change is just churn.

As for whether there should be a version number in the name, I'm not
sure it really matters.  The real question is API stability, and then
ABI stability matters not so much because people don't tend to link to
the postgis shlib (as I understand it, anyway).

Separately from whether this should happen eventually, any time near a
release should be totally out of the question.  I would say a change
like this should reset the "min time to next release" timer to 8 weeks.

So an extended discussion about what the issues are, where the pain is
now, what might happen, and where the pain might be distributed in a
future world sounds fine.  But I think that should be done as a broad
discussion of options, not debating a specific proposal, and not in any
way rushed.