[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Aug 30 05:00:15 PDT 2017

"Darafei \"Komяpa\" Praliaskouski" <me at komzpa.net> writes:

> I think we need someone to set up experiment, if it is possible to symlink
> just any library before update, or if it should really match. If it's not
> called in upgrade and stuff like autovacuum/autoanalyze/whatever uses
> postgis functions silently are shut down, it may happen that just presence
> of a shim is enough.

Reading more, I think I understand what's going on (and that you aren't
doing dump/restore).

It strikes me that the basic issue is that the pgupgrade process as
currently constructed is looking for a version of the library that used
to be installed.  You are working around that by putting in a symlink so
that it will, when opening the old version, get the new version.  That
only works if the versions are ABI compatible.

So I think we should be asking if the upgrade process is right, and if
it wants to run the old version (because it's doing something like
dump/restore on the fly?) then maybe it's necessary to have both
installed at once?

I certainly don't understand what's going on now to think that
essentially changing names to mask the disconnect between new/old is
sound.