[postgis-devel] I'd like to remove this Toast discussion

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jun 30 10:48:02 PDT 2017

You probably pushed it aside because all the solutions sound painful and in the large scheme of things, it probably isn't that big of a deal compared to other issues we have.

I actually think we make too big of a deal of it in the docs.  I don't think it affects that many people to warrant it being in front and center cover.

1)      First of all, am I correct in saying this issue only affects folks where they happen to have so few records relative toast size that the planner chooses not to use an index scan.

2)      For a table that big with so few records, I bet it is used often in which case, it is pushed into shared memory and already detoasted.  So the pain might only be felt once.

3)      I suspect index-only scan logic also mitigates some of the issue encouraging it in many cases to use the index.

Thanks,

Regina